Author Topic: Electric choke fast idle cam hangjp  (Read 1253 times)

Offline bigvette1

• Garage guy
Electric choke fast idle cam hangjp
« on: January 02, 2018, 05:31:25 PM »
I have a modified 77 carb with electric choke. The fast idle cam hangs up and does not fall off with choke warmed up. If moves freely by holding the. Home open so I can not see bind. . Even when you rev it several times it does not release. If you click it with your finger it.fslls off.  Leaning and lubing have not helped. Choke for lr lean does not   change problem . ,ideas?? Thx
correct email is dbc340parks@aol.com

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Electric choke fast idle cam hangjp
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 03:57:34 AM »
Not a common problem with the later carburetors as they used a pretty heavy metal fast idle cam and it has sufficient clearance on the choke housing. 

If it's not hanging up on anything it should drop freely once the choke coil removes pressure from the part under it that raises/lowers it when the choke is on......Cliff

Offline bigvette1

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 04:47:37 PM »
I think Cliff that is the key.  If the choke coil is too tight if will hang the fast idle cam up till it is totally "unwound".  Thanks again.
correct email is dbc340parks@aol.com

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 05:22:58 AM »
The choke should be set to where it just closes the flap dead cold.  That will be the base setting.  A little more CCW will have it stay on longer.

A defective coil will cause it to take WAY too long to heat up, and that entire time the fast idle cam will not drop.  Eventually engine heat will be great enough to open the choke.

If the choke flap isn't fully open in about 3 minutes and the fast idle cam all the way down then I would replace the E-choke......Cliff