Author Topic: New boots and retainers  (Read 2216 times)

Offline 3GOATS

• Garage guy
New boots and retainers
« on: February 14, 2018, 07:32:18 PM »
Finally
 New boots and retainers at Ames Performance for our ram air carburetors!!!

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: New boots and retainers
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 03:30:31 AM »
Good news there.  Do you have a link to them to put up here?

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 04:31:42 AM »
Thanks Ethan, I may run out one day and need to get a few.

I looked into having them made about a year ago, but the cost was too great.  Those were only used in Ram Air carburetors, so at the rate I sell kits and restore Ram Air carbs it would have taken about 50 years to get back from "up-front" costs for having them produced!......

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 05:16:31 AM »
Thanks Ethan, I may run out one day and need to get a few.

I looked into having them made about a year ago, but the cost was too great.  Those were only used in Ram Air carburetors, so at the rate I sell kits and restore Ram Air carbs it would have taken about 50 years to get back from "up-front" costs for having them produced!......

No problem, bud. I'm sure, in time, you'll be able to have them made/sell them. Like everything, it just takes time. ;)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 03:09:36 AM »
The demand for them isn't really great enough to take on that adventure.  I would only move about 1-2 a month.  One has to consider how rare Pontiac Ram Air carburetors are right to start with, and not too many of them being rebuilt these days. 

Since the non Ram Air airhorns aren't machined for the retainer, they really don't work well anywhere else.....Cliff

Offline 3GOATS

• Garage guy
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 10:37:42 AM »
Thanks Ethan for posting the link!
For me I have been looking for those boots for my two sr carbs for over a year and they just aren't complete if that darn boot is missing ..
I ordered some kits from you Cliff about a year or so ago and at that time you were out of boots and we had a discussion about making them.LOL
Now I just need to cut a groove in my accelerator pump to fit them.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 11:56:40 AM »
The demand for them isn't really great enough to take on that adventure.  I would only move about 1-2 a month.  One has to consider how rare Pontiac Ram Air carburetors are right to start with, and not too many of them being rebuilt these days. 

Since the non Ram Air airhorns aren't machined for the retainer, they really don't work well anywhere else.....Cliff

Indeed. They are quite rare. Even the SR's are hard to find sometimes. Good point. You could be doing a whole lot of other manufacturing than something that is already being sold now. Best wishes, Cliff.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 11:58:40 AM »
Thanks Ethan for posting the link!
For me I have been looking for those boots for my two sr carbs for over a year and they just aren't complete if that darn boot is missing ..
I ordered some kits from you Cliff about a year or so ago and at that time you were out of boots and we had a discussion about making them.LOL
Now I just need to cut a groove in my accelerator pump to fit them.

You're welcome! I'm glad they make them as well now. Hopefully someday everything will be reproduced on these carbs. Especially the A/C Dashpot on a 500ci Cadillac. :-\
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)