Author Topic: Between the Q-jet and the intake  (Read 3027 times)

Offline mikex

Between the Q-jet and the intake
« on: May 20, 2010, 11:00:23 PM »
I just received the rebuild kit and parts to convert an E4ME to non-electronic operation.  I've rebuilt a few Q-jets, electronic and non-electronic, and this is the best, most complete kit I've ever had.  I'm not sure whether I'll convert to non-electronic operation yet, but I'm looking forward to putting the kit to use.

I have a 290hp 350 Gm crate engine, Camshaft duration @.050: 222I/222E, Lift .450I/.460, LCA 112 deg., CR 8.5:1.  The intake is a Weiand 8125, and I have cast iron exhaust manifolds with a hi flow cat and a 2 1/2" dual cat-back system.

I already have a new 4-hole, 1/4" carb/intake gasket, but I see where the kit includes an open 1/4" gasket.  Should I use the open gasket or the 4-hole?  Will it make much difference?

Right now, I'm using a 1/2", 4-hole phenolic spacer with 1/16" gaskets.  Should I use that?  What effect is are these likely to have, and how will they compare in service?

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Between the Q-jet and the intake
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 07:22:44 AM »
These sort of things require testing, as different engine/drivetrain/vehicle combinations prefer different set-ups.

Using a 4 hole gasket, 4 hole spacer, etc, usually increases signal to the carb an enhances throttle response right off idle and at low rpms.  Open spacers/gaskets degrade signal some at low speeds and typically improve top end charge.

One pretty much has to experiement with different combintions to see what their particular application responds best to?....Cliff