Author Topic: Choke Linkage and Secondary Throttle Shaft  (Read 3189 times)

Offline Bob Heine

Choke Linkage and Secondary Throttle Shaft
« on: July 10, 2010, 08:39:45 PM »
I have a 1972 Corvette Coupe 454 automatic.  I replaced the original carb (7042216) 27 years ago with a 17054918 but kept the rebuildable core.  I plan to rebuild both carbs (so I can make changes to one and swap it).  I bought a rebuild kit, brass float and primary throttle shaft bushing kit for the replacement carb.  Then I decided to dig deeper into the original carb after I bought your book.   I disassembled, cleaned and lightly bead-blasted the original carb.  I then bushed the primary throttle shaft bores so it is a nice snug fit.  Now I seem to have several problems.  I'll start with the choke linkage.

Is there a longer divorced choke link available (perhaps for a Camaro or Chevelle big block)?  I bought a Summit 226022 dual-plane intake manifold.  The carb is significantly higher than it was on the stock manifold but the divorced choke is in the original location.  The original link isn't even close to being long enough.

Is there a secondary shaft reamer/bushing kit like the one for the primary shaft?  The secondary throttle shaft is looser than the primary shaft ever was. 

I plan to order your rebuild kit for the original carb along with a few jets, rods and  hangers.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Choke Linkage and Secondary Throttle Shaft
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 12:41:04 PM »
We have a 3/8" shaft bushing install kit for other types of carburetors which can be used for the secondary throttle shaft of the Q-jet.

Even so, they were a bit loose from the factory, and we do not install bushings in them here.  The huge throttle plates seal tight in the bores, and it's helpful to have a small amount of play at the rear shaft so they can locate themselves in the bores each time they close......Cliff

Offline Schurkey

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 02:46:25 PM »
Is there a longer divorced choke link available ... The original link isn't even close to being long enough.
Get two pliers and a piece of steel welding rod.  Bend your own.  Easy, simple, satisfying.

If you're careful, it'll still retain the copper plating when you're done.  Doesn't rust.  Might turn a little green.
Demand compensation from Communist China for the damage done by the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Lab, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19).  Trillions of dollars, plus direct compensation to individuals for medical bills, and "wrongful death" settlements.

Offline Bob Heine

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 06:48:30 PM »
We have a 3/8" shaft bushing install kit for other types of carburetors which can be used for the secondary throttle shaft of the Q-jet.

Even so, they were a bit loose from the factory, and we do not install bushings in them here.  The huge throttle plates seal tight in the bores, and it's helpful to have a small amount of play at the rear shaft so they can locate themselves in the bores each time they close......Cliff

Thanks Cliff,
I suspected as much - the secondary throttle plates were seated nice and tight.  The carb was 10 years old with about 70K miles on it when I pulled it off.  I'll order the parts and do the rebuild shortly.