Author Topic: Caddy Q-Jet rebuild advice needed  (Read 3668 times)

Offline hgdmartin

Caddy Q-Jet rebuild advice needed
« on: August 16, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
I have a 1973 Cadillac 472 with a factory Q-Jet that I need to rebuild.  I have just added an MTS #5 cam, an Edelbrock intake, and 2" duals to the back with a crossover.  All of the smog mess has been removed from this engine.  I have to believe it will run a bit lean with the modifications. 
Can you all recommend a set of jets and needles that will get me in the ballpark?  Part numbers would be helpful as well.

BTW - I have a donor carb that I am stealing the electric choke from. 

Thanks in advance for the advice.

David in SC

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Caddy Q-Jet rebuild advice needed
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 10:18:23 AM »
What is the carburetor part number?

I thought that year Cadillac still used the divorced choke set-ups?

Do you have the carb apart, and what jets and metering rods are in it?....Cliff

Offline hgdmartin

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 05:53:42 PM »
Cliff,
Yes there is a divorced choke, but I am installing an Edelbrock intake that does not have recess for coil.  I assumed that I could convert to electric, but I have not looked in depth.  Is that conversion not the best method to choke?
Carb is 7043230 with 0053 stamped next to that.
I am not sure what is inside, and it will be a while before I go in.  What am I measuring when I do go in?

I know I also need the power piston assy with the funny wrapped spring.  The black washer at top was worn badly last time I went in there.

Thanks,
David

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 04:09:09 AM »
It is not practical to convert divorced choke carburetors to a carb mounted electric choke.  Possible, but it requires a donor carburetoer that originally came with a hot air choke, early 70's Oldsmobile or 73-74 Pontiac.

Our HP kits come with a new split collar for the power piston, and everything else required for a complete/correct rebuild.

We include the high flow Viton needle/seat assembly, and a complete accellerator pump assembly with upgraded Viton seal.  Nothing else will hold up in modern pump fuel with ethanol in it....Cliff

Offline hgdmartin

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 03:06:01 AM »
Thanks for the info.
Do you recommend a manual choke?

Thanks

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 05:13:12 AM »
They work fine, but I much prefer a later Caddy carb with a hot air or electric choke.....Cliff

Offline hgdmartin

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 06:30:49 PM »
Cliff,
I have been to NAPA looking for the manual choke conversion.  They do not show it.  Any ideas where I can get one?  I do not see one on Ebay either.

Also - After much review, I cannot see how this pull-off will work to both choke the primary flap, and hold back the secondary.  The linkages just do not seem to be hooked up properly.  Do you have any photos so I can verify I am hooked up correctly? I do not see similar linkages in your book.
Am I needing to put any of this back on if I go with the manual choke?  I know your book recommends the pulloff for the secondaries.  Can I just put on a pulloff for them.

Thanks,
David

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 04:16:13 AM »
Best to send a pic of what you are working with to my email:

cliffshp@embarqmail.com

I'll let you know what it is, and how it should be set-up?....Cliff

Offline comp

• Garage guy