Author Topic: I don't need a rebuild kit.  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
I don't need a rebuild kit.
« on: December 04, 2019, 09:32:10 AM »
I get this call at least once a day.  Guy calls up, my carb isn't working well, stumbling, bog, hesitation.  When I go to full throttle it stumbles really bad, surges at cruise, or whatever.

One of the FIRST questions I will ask is if you rebuild the carb and if you used one of our kits in it?

Almost every single time I get a "I just rebuilt it or had it rebuilt" and no we used a kit from NAPA, Pep Boys, or some outfit on line, etc.

My next recommendation will be to get one of our kits, replace all those components, install a new secondary cam/spring, and see if things improve.

If not call me back and we can go over a few things that you might have missed or need to do to correct the problems. 

So basically it's difficult for me to diagnose a carb issue on the phone IF you didn't use good parts in it, incorrect parts, etc.  Once I know that the carb has the correct parts installed, float adjusted correctly, and it still doesn't work right, we know it's either a fundamental issue with the carb, or something was missed during the rebuild......Cliff

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: I don't need a rebuild kit.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 09:37:02 AM »
Here is how this works (story).  I get a call yesterday from a guy who doesn't live too far from here.  He just "rebuilt" his carburetor with NAPA kit and nothing is working well.  He had good pump shot at first, now it seems to not be working.

So he brings it by and I remove the top and the brand new NAPA pump "blue" seal is already swelled up 4 times the normal size!  Yes, no kidding, it was a "soft" material and already failed.  I take a gander at the fuel inlet seat and it's got a tiny little hole in it, so incorrect (generic).

So before we've even been on this thing 4 minutes I find two problems, one a show-stopper, no pump shot from a failed blue pump seal.  Of course the float was original (1970) and in bad shape so we replaced that, N/S assembly and complete pump assembly.

That's how this works folks.  You can't expect good results using sub-standard parts, I why we have stepped up in recent years and manufacture much better parts that hold up in this new fuel.......Cliff

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 08:17:51 PM »
i said this on here before i got in a hurry waiting for your kit to show up . so i went to napa and picked one up .this is mainly for the folks that don't know the difference in good parts
it lasted less than 20 minutes . ran great took for test run 5 miles one way
started running like crap by the time i got home . pulled it apart and blue seal had swelled up and came off pump and wadded in bottom of accelerator pump hole . lessen learned had to do the work twice for getting in a hurry . fwiw

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 02:58:14 AM »
I see this ALL the time, and tell folks that just because your cheap kit has a "blue" seal in it doesn't mean that it's any good.....and why I put a lifetime warranty on out accl pump.  To date I've never had to replace one.

My accl pumps also come with custom wound springs to improve fuel delivery and the return spring is wound from stainless steel so it will not rust and corrode down in the bottom of the carburetor.

The upper spring is wound from chrome vanadium spring wire so it will not loose tension and it will not coil bind like many of the aftermarket spring we see used on these pumps.......Cliff