Author Topic: torque converters interchange  (Read 1043 times)

Offline stevef

• Carb lover
torque converters interchange
« on: June 16, 2022, 05:55:06 PM »
Is there a fitment difference between a TC for a Chevy versus a BOP? I see some TC's listed for BOP, and some that don't specify.

Offline Mudsport96

• Carb lover
Re: torque converters interchange
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 03:49:17 AM »
It is possible that the offset for crankshaft flanges and bellhousing depths are different.
It has been 20 years or so since i had a converter fitment issue.
It was with an 83 olds cutlass calais with a 307. The stator gave up and i needed a new converter. So i went to western auto or advanced and ordered one for a 307 and lockup th350. Well, a couple days later i picked it up and installed it in the trans, but it wouldnt allow the bellhousing to reach the block. Took it back and filled the guy in and he checked the numbers and it was for a 5.0 so it should fit since the olds 307 is listed as a 5.0.... but so is the 305 chevy. Ordered the "optional " engine torque converter part number and tried again.  And it went together.
Just my experience.

Offline stevef

• Carb lover
Re: torque converters interchange
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 01:18:18 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I found a Transtar torque converter catalog and they do list the Chevy separate from the BOP, so there is something different. I know the BOP's have welded nuts on them for the 3 bolts to go into, and Chevys just have flanges for using bolts with loose nuts. The hole spacing might be a little different too. The catalog also shows a converter that they have that is universal, and can be used for all of them.