Author Topic: Think it can be saved?  (Read 1072 times)

Offline ourkid2000

• Garage guy
Think it can be saved?
« on: November 25, 2022, 01:27:19 PM »
Good day all,

This QJ was in a small engine fire a few years ago on my 1966 Olds Toronado. You can see the fire extinguishing agent still present on the body and inside.

These old 66' QJ carbs are pretty hard to come by so I'd like to try to refurbish it, however, I'm not 100% sure of the origins of this one to be perfectly honest. There's no PN stamped into the body anywhere that I can see other than the little casting #'s. There's no round spot for the tag and there's no PN stamped on the vertical surface near the secondaries where you usually find them.

Think she can be salvaged or is it too far gone? It cleaned up pretty well in a light soak in some vinegar but still needs a good trip through a ultrasonic cleaner.

Offline Kenth

• Jet Head
Re: Think it can be saved?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 01:33:59 AM »
With no round place for the tag and no PN stamped I would say this is a service replacement unit.
And with the HeliCoil in the intake and with the T-guide in the upper bowl vent hole, it could have been restored by an independent "carb factory".
Missing is the piston and rod assembly on the dashboard for the air valves, which can be hard to find.
These 1968 and earlier units has float bowl bottom brass plugs that are 100% leakers which needs to be replaced with threaded plugs.
Some 1968 and earlier SR units that are made 1969 and later may have the later leakproof style bottom plugs.
Also, since it has been glassblasted/acid treated at the "carb factory" it will need new dichromate surface.

Offline ourkid2000

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 09:13:00 AM »
Lol

Offline ourkid2000

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 09:26:21 AM »
With no round place for the tag and no PN stamped I would say this is a service replacement unit.
And with the HeliCoil in the intake and with the T-guide in the upper bowl vent hole, it could have been restored by an independent "carb factory".
Missing is the piston and rod assembly on the dashboard for the air valves, which can be hard to find.
These 1968 and earlier units has float bowl bottom brass plugs that are 100% leakers which needs to be replaced with threaded plugs.
Some 1968 and earlier SR units that are made 1969 and later may have the later leakproof style bottom plugs.
Also, since it has been glassblasted/acid treated at the "carb factory" it will need new dichromate surface.

Good info by the way, and I think you're right about this being a service replacement carb. I kinda don't understand why it wouldn't have a PN somewhere on it though. I wonder what the T-guide is there for??

The world of these vintage Qjet's is such a rabbit-hole but I'm learning lots! Thanks so much for your help!

Offline Kenth

• Jet Head
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 07:28:46 AM »
The "T" guide is there to prevent ignorant mechanics from putting the air cleaner stud into the wrong hole and ruining the float.

Offline v8440

• Garage guy
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 01:45:07 PM »
I just wanted to say, what a cool car!  Early Toronados are the bomb!