Author Topic: What number Quadrajet do I need?  (Read 2741 times)

Offline 67dan

What number Quadrajet do I need?
« on: October 25, 2010, 04:10:11 PM »
I have a 1967 GTO with the wrong Quadrajet! It is the 400 Cu in with Automatic! The one I have is for a 1971 ChevyBig Block on the engine and was told it was the correct one for the engine! WRONG! Runs poorly and has no passing gear linkage or solenoid.

Can someone please tell a novice, my first GTO, what number carb I should be looking for or should I say punt and go with a Holley or Edelbrock?

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
Re: What number Quadrajet do I need?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 08:02:46 PM »
Probably the number would be something like a 7027X6X.  {the X's in the number stand for numbers which could vary depending on the type of emissions or if the vehicle is equipped with an automatic or manual trans..an example; 7027264  could be federal emmision/automatic trans and could be correct for your car if it was a fed emmision and automatic equipped car}   
   Now the hard part.......try to find one. Oh I'm sure they are out there. Heck even Cliff probably has one.
Do you have to have one for originality?  If so be aware that those early carbs were not without their problems. The newer carbs functioned much better {early to mid 70's were a big step ahead from a functionality point of view.}  You could even make that darned old Chebbie carb run just perfect on that Poncho.  Just buy Cliff's book, it'll tell you how.  MY .02 worth.