Author Topic: Quadrajet on a 250l6?  (Read 1373 times)

Offline jachristmas

Quadrajet on a 250l6?
« on: February 04, 2023, 01:32:53 PM »
Hello all, I've searched and found mixed reviews so figured I would check here. I have a 250 l6 that I will be changing the intake and exhaust on now but rebuilding for better performance later. I have a quadrajet that I have used in the past. Is it possible to set this carb to work with my engine or should I find a diffrent carb? Looking to use a aussie speed intake that has a open plenum. I would like to make this work but not sure if possible.  Thanks

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Quadrajet on a 250l6?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 05:12:00 AM »
What is the carburetor part number?  Divorced choke model, hot air or electric?

Does the aftermarket intake heat the intake or area under the carb?

Not familiar with any I-6 intakes out there but a cold intake on an inline 6 cylinder engine isn't going to be the best choice with a wet-flow system.

I'd also add that without any engine changes to need more cfm you probably aren't going to see much improvement in power simply by going to a larger intake and carburetor.  The factory intakes and 1bbl carb did pretty good for those engines in stock form as I've owned several of them over the years and non were really lacking in performance anyplace with the stock parts......

Offline Mudsport96

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 06:13:59 AM »
Im guessing it is a pre-1975 era 250 or at least had the top swap from an older 250 to replace the one piece head/intake? What manifold are you going with? I would THINK that using a combination that resembles one used for a 262 v6 in the carb would get you close to where you should be.

Offline Kenth

• Jet Head
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 09:07:21 AM »
Hello all, I've searched and found mixed reviews so figured I would check here. I have a 250 l6 that I will be changing the intake and exhaust on now but rebuilding for better performance later. I have a quadrajet that I have used in the past. Is it possible to set this carb to work with my engine or should I find a diffrent carb? Looking to use a aussie speed intake that has a open plenum. I would like to make this work but not sure if possible.  Thanks

It is certainly possible, Pontiac did.

Offline jachristmas

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 04:13:32 PM »
What is the carburetor part number?  Divorced choke model, hot air or electric?

Does the aftermarket intake heat the intake or area under the carb?

Not familiar with any I-6 intakes out there but a cold intake on an inline 6 cylinder engine isn't going to be the best choice with a wet-flow system.

I'd also add that without any engine changes to need more cfm you probably aren't going to see much improvement in power simply by going to a larger intake and carburetor.  The factory intakes and 1bbl carb did pretty good for those engines in stock form as I've owned several of them over the years and non were really lacking in performance anyplace with the stock parts......
yes the intake does have the a ability to be heated.. I was looking at using an adapter on the manifold or simply just waiting until the engine is rebuilt to add the carb and other parts. I'm not sure on the numbers on the carb it is a jet performance stage 2 quadrajet. So I'm not sure what they have changed internally on this.i feel like the engine e would probably never need the secondaries. But I have the carb and if possible to use it I would like to.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 05:21:17 AM »
What carb mounting flange does the intake have?  Pics?

Pics of the carb?

Offline jachristmas

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 08:48:40 AM »
What carb mounting flange does the intake have?  Pics?

Pics of the carb?
sorry been away for awhile. I will post some pics of the carb and intake. I know the carb will need to be rebuilt.