Author Topic: Cold start dies 4 to 5 times before stabilizing  (Read 576 times)

Offline dkraven

• Garage guy
Cold start dies 4 to 5 times before stabilizing
« on: October 31, 2023, 02:37:03 AM »
Been a journey with this carb. I have a 17057213 on a 350 SBC in a 1977 Sierra Grande. As far as I know everything is stock.

Rebuilt it with Cliff's kit to fix a bog issue that is resolved, assuming the accelerator pump was the main issue there. Got a new problem.

Now it fires up then dies within 10 seconds 4 to 5 times, then usually on the 5th attempt to start it will idle and then run smoothly. Once warm it starts quickly every time. I've read up on this a bit and most times the pull off is the problem, but the pull off appears to be working correctly, opens the choke 1/8 inch. Should I play with that gap?

What other avenues of diagnosis should I go down? When I rebuilt the carb I carefully checked the float height, and I used a new float from Cliff. I did leave the hook off the needle, could this be a needle problem?

Offline 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
Re: Cold start dies 4 to 5 times before stabilizing
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 06:51:59 AM »
I'd probably try closing it a little more. Does it shut tight with the cold engine off? If not fix that.
Jim

Offline Kenth

• Jet Head
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 12:07:37 PM »
With the engine hot, pry up the fast idle cam to the highest position and adjust the speed with the fast idle screw to approx. 1600. The next time the engine is started cold, the rpm will be just right.

HTH

Offline quadrajam

• Carb lover
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 01:35:41 PM »
Good idea Kenth. May save me some back and forth next time.