Author Topic: Running 170882267 without computer control function as referenced by Cliff  (Read 1330 times)

Offline don3194

• Garage guy
I've got a bit of an interesting situation/idea.
I did a V8 swap in my 1994 Oldsmobile Bravada, was gonna run fuel injection but I'm a little in over my head with that for right now. I just want to get it moving before I can find the motivation to maybe try that again. So the transmission is computer controlled and as far as I can tell the TPS on these will work just the same as the TBI I was trying to run.

Engine is a rebuilt 350, bored .040" over with a summit 1103 cam in it. (According to summit's paper work Advertised Duration 288/298, Lift .444/.466) Pretty low compression unfortunately at like 8:1, should have gone with the flat topped pistons in hindsight, but I'm building a driver not a racer.

Anyways, I picked up a 170882267 computer controlled carb. I read in thishttps://cliffshighperformance.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=4442.0 forum a post from the mighty Cliff himself about running these carbs without the computer controlled functionality.

So based on what Cliff said, I remove the primary metering rods, stock jets, and solenoid to start off. My main question is what jets can go back in these, do regular non computer controlled jets work? Also I don't know what else I should change, based on my research this carb is off of a 4.1 Caddy V8 so I know whats in there is probably a little dry for my setup.

Offline quadrajam

• Carb lover
A year or so ago I made a rodless CCC carb from a 17082204. Idle and
secondary mods Cliffs # 1 recipe. Used a pair of regular Q-Jet # 66 jets.
Ran great everywhere. Never checked it with a A/F meter, never checked
MPG but it certainly ran suprisingly well.

QJ

Offline Kenth

• Jet Head
1970 Olds W30 and W31 M/T Quadrajets uses 2G 60° approach (short taper) #70026xx series jets w/o power piston/primary rods due to weak vacuum signal from the camshafts used in those engines.

Offline don3194

• Garage guy
Interesting information.

A year or so ago I made a rodless CCC carb from a 17082204. Idle and
secondary mods Cliffs # 1 recipe. Used a pair of regular Q-Jet # 66 jets.
Ran great everywhere. Never checked it with a A/F meter, never checked
MPG but it certainly ran suprisingly well.

QJ

Any tips on removing the primary jets, saw somewhere online they are a 7mm Double D but I didnt want to buy the tool listed for it for $200.

1970 Olds W30 and W31 M/T Quadrajets uses 2G 60° approach (short taper) #70026xx series jets w/o power piston/primary rods due to weak vacuum signal from the camshafts used in those engines.
I'll have to check into those, thanks

Offline Kenth

• Jet Head
The jets can be loosened with long narrow pliers and then I press on a piece of hose to unscrew them.

Offline don3194

• Garage guy
The jets can be loosened with long narrow pliers and then I press on a piece of hose to unscrew them.
Funny enough thats exactly what I ended up trying and it worked. Thanks