Author Topic: Cliff,, little help  (Read 6415 times)

Offline 4speed

• Garage guy
Cliff,, little help
« on: January 23, 2011, 11:08:38 PM »
I need a good kit for this,

quadrajet 7043263  it think its a 455 800cfm carb

its in my 79 4 speed trans am.  its a 1975 400 .   zero decked block .040 over, .030 off the heads, 6x8 heads.  mild cam , headers 2.5" Pypes system.  dino at 380hp

I need your good kit.  w/ air tubes and what not.   this carb worked good at first now falls on its face.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Cliff,, little help
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 02:52:06 AM »
Nice carb, 1973 Pontiac manual transmission.  It's the smaller casting, not the "800" cfm Super Duty unit, but plenty of carb for what you are doing.

When you get time, call the shop and we'll get what you need headed your way.  I would get one of our kits, and some tuning parts as well, as those units are pretty lean (emission calibrated)....thanks...Cliff

740-397-2921

Offline 4speed

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 08:42:05 AM »
thanks Cliff.     good talking to ya.   

Offline 4speed

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 07:13:14 PM »
is your kit ethanol safe?

Offline 4speed

• Garage guy
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 07:25:02 PM »
also need the Screw in bottom plugs.  sorry I forgot.  or do they come in the kit I got?

also need to know what epoxy to use,  so the ethanol doesnt eat it off.

this carb was rebuilt 2 years ago.  the epoxy ( JB weld, I think)  I used was like rubber, and I could take it off with my fingernail.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 06:01:13 AM »
The parts we supply are good for modern fuels, even E-85.

When you get time, call the shop and we'll get what you need headed your way..thanks...Cliff

Offline 4speed

• Garage guy
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 11:10:12 AM »
bad new ,,  I broke the body of the carb.  do you have one ?
see pics

I found one from a 70 olds but the inlet is a bit smaller and the float is diffrent.

what I broke

and what I found 7040251  ( 455 olds 1970 )  the inlet is smaller and the float is diffrent
what to do? seeing I already paid for the kit and plug kit for it.  what other pontiac carbs will the kit work with?

Offline 4speed

• Garage guy
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 12:06:48 PM »
thanks for the call,  I boxed up the parts with a note,  and going out today.  So you can Cad the top piece along with the main body you have for me.

thanks.
Doug

Offline 4speed

• Garage guy
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 05:43:57 PM »
cliff, 
could you take out and tap the plug holes for me.  ( how much? )  will it be cheaper then me buying the 2 drill bits and the 2 taps do this?  sorry I think smarter not harder.  ;D

the sexy voice on the phone shipped the plugs to me already. 

also I'm sending the inlet filter back . I need the long one.    the one in the kit is correct for the carb, but I needed the long fitting on the carb to mate up to the gas line on my 79.

sorry if I'm a pain  ;)   

Offline 4speed

• Garage guy
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 01:24:03 PM »
you should have got the carb parts I sent ya.  did you see my last post?  Im guessing you did. because I havent got the plug kit yet.

thanks

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 03:17:09 AM »
Just getting back to the shop today after the ice storm, we've been on the generator for a couple of days and only able to do office work.

We'll sort out your carb stuff today, make sure to tell Deb or Marie all the details when they call for payment.  I have bad cases of CRS these days!......Cliff

Offline 4speed

• Garage guy
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 03:26:07 AM »
OK we got alot of ice to,  no power loss.  with lots of cold wind. 

Offline 4speed

• Garage guy
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 04:19:58 PM »
cliff, I got the carb parts today.  thanks.  nice job .

BUT ,,  I need this piece for the choke.  its like a plastic or rubber grommet.  I dont see it in the kit you sent. 
I tryed to take it from another body , but it cracked. can it be picked up at a auto parts place? so I dont have to wate on the shipping!  if not , send me one. thanks

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 03:56:07 AM »
Did the Olds carb have one in it?

We don't have those parts in stock, and I've stolen all of them from the castings in our core pile. 

The later carbs used a metal one, that can be modified to work by narrowing it up some.  I have plenty of later castings in the core pile.  I'll take a look today to see what's involved with modifying one to use on the earlier casting?......Cliff

Offline 4speed

• Garage guy
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 12:09:56 PM »
Did the Olds carb have one in it?

daaaa ,, ya it does . thanks .  I have it all done now and I think it looks grate.  but I have one last question.  in the first pic. 

after turning this adjustment screw all the way in , how many turns does it need to come back out?
or is it something set once it on the car , like the air screws?  or is it in your book , and I didnt see it?