Author Topic: Accuracy of "sizing" carb passages  (Read 3160 times)

Offline Schurkey

• Carb lover
Accuracy of "sizing" carb passages
« on: February 25, 2009, 11:51:12 AM »
When using a number drill bit to determine the size of a carb passage; how close do exact size you need to be?

The number drill bits go up--or down--in size by several thousandths; there's any number of passages in my carb where one drill bit fits loosely; and the next size up won't go in at all.

Basically, I'm using the number bits as go/no go gauges.

Is that close enough; or should I be trying to figure out how to measure within a thousandth instead of several thousandths?
Demand compensation from Communist China for the damage done by the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Lab, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19).  Trillions of dollars, plus direct compensation to individuals for medical bills, and "wrongful death" settlements.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Accuracy of "sizing" carb passages
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 08:27:54 AM »
With small gaps between drill sizes, sometimes you will only get a good idea as to the size, and not the exact size.

In our book we tried to reference drill bit sizes as found in the 1-60 and 61-80 standard indexes.  We also give a range for some recomended holes sizes, so those drill bit sets could be used for custom modifications/tuning.....Cliff