Author Topic: Thanks Cliff!  (Read 2943 times)

Offline 303ta

Thanks Cliff!
« on: February 25, 2009, 05:41:24 AM »
Cliff I just installed the Q-jet you built for me this past weekend and I must say, it was well worth the 10 month wait! The car performs great! especially when those secondaries open up.Off idle also is greatly improved.

With the demon carb I had before,comming off idle I had to feather the throttle to start off,But with the Q-jet its smooth as glass.Even at cruising speed the car is great, again with the aforementioned carb I would be going along and you could feel the engine load up and it just didn't feel right.

The only issue I have is that with the old carb the car smoked alot at idle,with the q-jet it smokes like a frieght train! But I think I taced it to the '72 HO repo intake.I don't think it matches up the the heads properly and the increased vacum(10-12 hg for the demon-15+for the q-jet) oil is being sucked into the cylinder.I have been cleaning and modifying the OEM cast iron manifold this week and hope to make the swap this weekend.

Again thanks alot and Great Work!,

Bill

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Thanks Cliff!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 08:25:45 AM »
Bill, thanks for the report and kind words!

I hope the previous carburetor didn't "wash down" the engine to a point where it's consuming oil by the rings.  We see a LOT of this.

One also has to wonder, when we install an aftermarket "high performance" carburetor, and it uses more fuel than a well tuned factory carburetor, where did all that additional fuel go, out the tailpipes, or into the lubricating oil as carbon, blow-by and unburnt fuel?......Cliff