Author Topic: Ok, another which carb question. Sorry.  (Read 4255 times)

Offline russosborne

Ok, another which carb question. Sorry.
« on: February 08, 2012, 07:48:41 PM »
Hi, new here.
I did search on all of these, but came up with no matches on each one.

17057156 - Quad
17058204 - Quad
17059508 - Quad

I came across these three on craigslist and was  wondering if any of them would be worth using.
My car is a 70 Pontiac Lemans. It came with a carter carb on it, but want to go with a Quadrajet. I have already got a stock manifold to replace the Edelbrock Performer RPM.
Not worried about numbers matching, this car will be far from that.  ;D Just don't have a lot of money and don't want to buy anything that wouldn't be worthwhile. I would either use Cliff's rebuild kit or send it to him.

thanks,
Russ

Offline russosborne

Re: Ok, another which carb question. Sorry.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 08:24:48 PM »
Well, I just found the code breakdown on the website. Looks like the first one listed is a two barrel. So that eliminates that one.
And the third one is a CA emissions type.
So is the 17058204 worthwhile? Assuming it isn't junk of course.  The price is between $40-60. He doesn't list the prices of each one.
Thanks,
Russ

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 09:46:15 PM »
Hi, new here.
I did search on all of these, but came up with no matches on each one.

17057156 - Quad
17058204 - Quad
17059508 - Quad

I came across these three on craigslist and was  wondering if any of them would be worth using.
My car is a 70 Pontiac Lemans. It came with a carter carb on it, but want to go with a Quadrajet. I have already got a stock manifold to replace the Edelbrock Performer RPM.

Not worried about numbers matching, this car will be far from that.  ;D Just don't have a lot of money and don't want to buy anything that wouldn't be worthwhile. I would either use Cliff's rebuild kit or send it to him.

thanks,
Russ

17057156 is from a '77 Olds Cutlass 260cid Non-California A/T and yes, it is a 2 barrel.

17058204 is from a '78 Olds Cutlass and Pontiac Firebird 350cid Non-California A/T 4 barrel. Was also used on some Chevrolet applications.

17059508 is from a '79 Chevrolet and GMC Truck 350cid California A/T 4 barrel.

Hope this helps. :)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Schurkey

• Carb lover
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 10:40:10 AM »
My car is a 70 Pontiac Lemans. It came with a carter carb on it, but want to go with a Quadrajet.
Pontiac was using non-Quadrajet Carter carbs in '70?  I thought they quit the Carter design carbs earlier than that.
Demand compensation from Communist China for the damage done by the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Lab, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19).  Trillions of dollars, plus direct compensation to individuals for medical bills, and "wrongful death" settlements.

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 08:05:24 PM »
schurkey,i dont know if this means anything,but my friends car 1976 pontiac grand prix 455 all stock they bought it new has a carter 17056262 or some thing close to that. hes going to have me rebuild it for him.dean

Offline Schurkey

• Carb lover
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 09:02:53 AM »
schurkey,i dont know if this means anything,but my friends car 1976 pontiac grand prix 455 all stock they bought it new has a carter 17056262 or some thing close to that. hes going to have me rebuild it for him.dean
Carter-built Quadrajet?  Sure, I believe that.  I've got a Carter-built '6262 just like yours sitting on my work bench RIGHT NOW, in pieces.  Should have been completed long ago, but I popped the head gasket on my daily-driver, and that's taking up all my time.

A Carter-designed carb on a '70 Pontiac?  I'm not so sure about that.  The guy says he wants to remove the Carter, and install a Quadrajet.  What's he got NOW??? An AFB???  AVS??? Thermo-Quad???  Edelbrock Carter-clone???
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 09:06:42 AM by Schurkey »
Demand compensation from Communist China for the damage done by the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Lab, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19).  Trillions of dollars, plus direct compensation to individuals for medical bills, and "wrongful death" settlements.

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 12:34:52 PM »
a little off the subject .but heres a question.in 1980 i was working on a 360 dodge carb .a thermoquad its the only one i ever worked on. was the fuel bowl made out of plastic or what was it made of?thanks

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 01:19:38 PM »
a little off the subject .but heres a question.in 1980 i was working on a 360 dodge carb .a thermoquad its the only one i ever worked on. was the fuel bowl made out of plastic or what was it made of?thanks

Dean,
 Yeah, I do believe the fuel bowl in the Thermoquad was made out of plastic. I could be wrong though. ;)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 05:21:47 AM »
Phenolic resin from what I can remember?  Those carburetors have great potential, but poor parts support, and whoever designed the choke, fast idle, and other linkages was on LSD back in those days.  I absolutely HATE working on those carburetors for that reason.

They are also too wide for a clean fit in many applications, rear fuel inlet, and too high in the casting to clear most factory Shaker, Ram Air, or aftermarket drop base air cleaner set-ups. 

This makes the q-jet a better option, as it has PLENTY of parts support, and much more compact, with a front located fuel inlet low in the casting......Cliff

Offline russosborne

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 04:46:41 PM »
Sorry for the confusion.  :-[
The car came with an aftermarket Carter carb and an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake.
And thanks for the info. Just emailed the guy about the 204 carb. See if he still has it.
Russ
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 04:55:26 PM by russosborne »