Author Topic: primary metering rod 58S?  (Read 2804 times)

Offline justahoby

primary metering rod 58S?
« on: February 15, 2012, 08:57:18 PM »
just pulled down a q jet that was on a 454 motorhome, but looks like it may have been a reman, but otherwise good condition to go through... went through cliffs book on another one, and man it was a great pay off... screw fuel injection... was for my 383 had the idle little rich and guess how i had it would work on my 454 better with its lower vacuum.... always liked them q jets but never seen one so crisp in my life...response was truly amazing! but this carb i am looking at just curious as to what these rods are .. 58S stamped with 75 jets, carb number 17085212, they appear to have larger air bleed as i have yet to slide numbered bits through to determine the size

Offline justahoby

Re: primary metering rod 58S?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 09:03:57 AM »
Oh well guess its a bunch of reman junk in what was a decent carb  :'( will go through it and put rod jets and redo airbleeds.....  8)  got som different m rods and Jets around

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 09:09:18 AM »
iv'e takeen 2 of them apart in the last month and they were unmolested i posted the sizes on carb talk and tips on feb 8th  i rebuilt them just the way they came off . the only thing cliff told me to do was plug the small hole in the back of the base plate. because the gasket between the fuel bowl and the base has a hole.he also plugged to holes in the fuel bowl. hope this helps .they run great . 1 is one a 454 1 ton the other is on a 460 ford motor home. dean

Offline justahoby

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:13:29 AM »
ok thanks.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 04:58:31 AM »
I just finished one of those carburetors and used 50M metering rods with 76 main jets.  Ran flawlessly at every level.  I plugged off the goofy secondary system with the passages leading down to the throttle body.  I actually put the carb on my Ventura and did some driving and full throttle testing.....Cliff