Author Topic: Rear Choke pulloff conversion  (Read 2995 times)

Offline Malibu72

• Garage guy
Rear Choke pulloff conversion
« on: February 18, 2012, 05:45:29 PM »
Hi,
      I'm using a 17082227, 82 van Qjet on my 72 454 Chevelle with your parts. Runs great. This carb came with rear only choke pull-off. Can this carb be converted to a front choke pull-off only and if so, what would be involved besides the pull-off and secondary linkage? Thanks.

Valentino

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
Re: Rear Choke pulloff conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 07:29:20 PM »
val. i havent done it yet but i plan on. the way i was going to try was to take the shaft out of junk front pulloff and build a little aluminum block that i could mount to the air horn and also tap it for a stop. im sure some body on here has done it already. maybe they will chime in and give us a better way to do it. dean

Offline Malibu72

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 01:43:43 AM »
Lucky my airhorn already has the front mounting holes drilled. I think I may have to use the donor carb choke rod though.

Val.

Offline 73 Z28

• Carb lover
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 07:37:57 AM »
Val,
If your carb doesn't have a curved slot bracket on the air valve shaft, then you are right in that you'd have to switch out the shaft from an earlier carb to allow the primary choke pulloff linkage to hook up correctly. Should be an easy mod. to do.

Good Luck
Paul

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 08:44:52 AM »
on all the air horns i looked at they all had the positive stops in the same place. the rear pulloff had it at 12 o clock and the front has it at 3 oclock so after you change the air horn shaft you will need to build a pos.stop thats what i was talkig about in the first post.if i was good at pictures i would post them.hope this helps .another option would be a different air horn with all the same size air bleeds etc.dean

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 04:08:17 AM »
An easy way to provide a stop for the flaps is to use a divider plate in the main castings with the "hood" on it.  Otherwise, adding a stop to the airhorn will be required....Cliff