Author Topic: Base Gasket  (Read 4202 times)

Offline Paul

• Carb lover
Base Gasket
« on: April 14, 2012, 06:28:45 AM »
 I rebuilt my 17057266 quadrajet carb per receipe #3 of Cliffs book. We will be installing it on the  74 Pontiac 455 soon, the intake is a 71 factory 4 barrell. What would be the best base carb to manifold gasket to use?

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Base Gasket
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 04:11:52 AM »
That carburetor will require a later style gasket to fully seal off the front area of the carburetor or "U" channel.

We sell half a dozen gaskets that will work using the later carb on the early intake, and substitute them as required in our rebuild kits....Cliff

Offline Paul

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 06:30:07 AM »
Cliff,
 Are you talking about the U channel on the carb? Or, on the manifold?

Paul

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 04:33:40 AM »
U channel on carb.  It will overhang many early style gaskets....Cliff

Offline Paul

• Carb lover
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 05:02:19 AM »
ok, I didnt know. I will call your shop shortly and get whats needed.

Offline Paul

• Carb lover
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 05:26:01 AM »
What does that U channel do? is there vacume or fuel there? Thanks Cliff

Paul

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 04:06:14 AM »
On most units it leads to two small ports high above the throttle plates, providing a "weak" ported vacuum signal to one of the front fittings, usually used for EGR, etc.....Cliff

Offline Paul

• Carb lover
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 06:45:43 AM »
Cliff,

Do you have a part number, make ect, so when I call I can give it to who answers? is there anything else needed to make this gasket seal, or will this gasket seal everything without addition of sealer or anything else? Thanks,

Paul

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 10:01:46 AM »
Paul, we stock every currently available gasket for the Q-jet to the intake.  Just tell us the carb number, which intake you are going to use, and we will make a recomendation.  If clearance or carb height is a concern, we have gaskets from apprx .080" thick to .250" that will fit your combination of parts.......Cliff

Offline Paul

• Carb lover
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
This is all going into a 77 Pontiac Trans-Am. Theres the shaker scoop but that shouldnt be an issue. Sealing whatever it needs to seal is this issue.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 03:29:01 AM »
I'd use our thick 1/4" 4 hole gasket if carb height is not an issue.  It's available directly off the website, or call the shop and we'll get one headed your way.  Did you use one of our kits for the carb build?   We can put any base gasket in the kit if you tell us what you are doing, etc.......Cliff

Offline Paul

• Carb lover
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 06:56:29 AM »
The carb was already rebuilt when I bought it. I re-re built it using your book, kept and reused all the gaskets because they was new, but I bought your float and needle and seat, pump, jets and primary and secondary rods, and the little steel ball thats for the accelerator pump. Its ready to be installed, I just need a base gasket that will work with the 17057266 carb, being mounted on the 71 intake.