Author Topic: Recently rebuilt quadrajet stumbling and hesitating badly  (Read 4624 times)

Offline chilly803

Recently rebuilt quadrajet stumbling and hesitating badly
« on: May 01, 2012, 07:53:29 PM »
Hello all, new to site. I have a couple questions on my recently replated and rebuilt Quadrajet carburetor on my 68 Pontiac Tempest 400 engine if you dont mind. My engine is stock with no modifications other than an Edelbrock dual plane intake and pertronix ignition system. I had gotten my carb (7029262) back from rebuilders local to my area and installed back on my car to test and noticed it has a real bad stumble on take off under easy acceleration, also when letting off throttle and resuming acceleration it has a bad stumble, while driving down highway at cruising speed it hesitates badly also. I have had this carb back to rebuilder three times with no luck other than losing more money in fuel cost. It seems as he is shooting in the dark with troublshooting this problem. I have no experience with rebuilding these carbs and have heard they can be a bear to deal with if you dont know what to look for as I dont. Any help with this situation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again Bob L

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Recently rebuilt quadrajet stumbling and hesitating badly
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 03:47:19 AM »
At least 30 percent of our work here is fixing issues with freshly "rebuilt" carburetors.  Could be just about anything, and in most cases I can nail down the problem(s) in less time than it took to type this.

Yesterday I went completely thru a 1970 Buick 455 carb "fresh" from a rebuilder.  It was a MESS, full or "low end" components, including a black rubber cup on the old accl pump that had already swelled up and binding in the pump bore.

Float was WAY too low, throttle plates not fully seating when closed, or fully open to 90 degrees at WOT. 

Wrong needle/seat assembly, mangled up used jets, wrong power piston spring, and not sealing at the top gasket.

We went completely back thru it, and it ran flawlessly on our test engine.....Cliff

Offline chilly803

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 07:53:19 PM »
Cliff, thank you for the quick reply and optimisim. I really like how this carb works and pulls as opposed to my spare square bore carb.Would you give me a number and best time to possibly call and discuss a quote and shipping to you if you would be interested in repairing this.. I have a few other questions also.Thank you Bob

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 04:56:40 AM »
Shop number is 740-397-2921, 8am-5pm M-F EST.....Cliff