Author Topic: Redo 89 Mercruiser 5.7 GM Quadrajet  (Read 2333 times)

Offline 89SS196

• Garage guy
Redo 89 Mercruiser 5.7 GM Quadrajet
« on: September 30, 2012, 07:05:43 AM »
Hi,
What's your take on the 89 Rochester Q jet?  It's on a normal 260 horse non vortec 5.7 with the standard flat tappet marine torque oriented cam. 
The carburetor has an engine heated coil type choke pull off.  The motor pulls hard and runs nicely, although it does not make the absolute top speed others claim in slightly heavier boats with the same driveline.  It does have some good top end, but I'll take whatever it gives.  And I am aware that not everyone tells the truth about performance.
It also appears to have the fuel bowl leak that some get.  I have to pump and crank it more than I'd like on a cold start after an overnight rest or longer.
I have a Mercruiser kit that I bought before I found out about you, it lacks a float which I will get from you, and I will get your book also.  Seems to me the float is a no brainer. 
And your book will likely get me pointed the right way.

Thank you.

Peter
89 Baja Sunsport 196, Mercruiser 5.7, Alpha 1
Moultonboro Neck, Lake Winnipesaukee, NH
Let's go embarass some big go-fast boats!

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Redo 89 Mercruiser 5.7 GM Quadrajet
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 06:10:56 AM »
I'd get our basic kit, as it's not that much more than the float by itself.  The fuel inlet seat in our kit is the correct .135" diameter for the Marine carburetor.   The "generic" seats in other kits are too small, and can kill top end power and performance.

Our accl pump is also a much better part, especially the pump cup, which is not effected by the ethanol in this new fuel.  We also supply new pump springs, which improve pump performance.....Cliff