Author Topic: Q-Jet vs. DualJet  (Read 10093 times)

Offline Schurkey

• Carb lover
Q-Jet vs. DualJet
« on: June 12, 2009, 04:13:22 PM »
I went to my favorite salvage yard looking for decent core carbs.  Came home with two; and expect to find others once the ground dries up and I can drive through the rows of vehicles instead of confining my search to a couple of sheds filled with carbs.

Most of the carbs stacked on shelves in the shed are missing the choke coils, my two cores included.

There are a batch of DualJet carbs, some of which have the electric choke coils still mounted.

1.  What is the typical resistance of an electric choke coil?  My ohmmeter shows anywhere from 4 ohms to multi-thousand ohms; I'm sure some of those choke coils that I measured were defective.

2.  Are DualJet choke coils interchangeable with Q-Jet coils?  I'm sure they are.  The electrical connector retaining tabs on the coils on some--but not all--of the DualJets looks to be really huge.  The mating connector must be a monster.

3.  Anyone need a DualJet carb?  This place has a dozen or more just sitting on shelves.  EVERY DualJet I looked at had the larger venturi arrangement similar to the "800 CFM" Q-Jets.  There's a DualJet 165 (looks like a '74-older Q-Jet including a full-size casting where the "secondary" side is blank--no throttle plates, and no opening air valve; a DualJet 200 which looks like a '75-Newer Q-Jet and has a similar full-size casting with the blank secondary side; and a batch of DualJet 210 which are similar to the '75-Newer Q-Jet primary side, but the 210 is a smaller casting that doesn't have the secondary area at all.
Demand compensation from Communist China for the damage done by the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Lab, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19).  Trillions of dollars, plus direct compensation to individuals for medical bills, and "wrongful death" settlements.

Offline Schurkey

• Carb lover
Re: Q-Jet vs. DualJet
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 11:14:56 PM »
Some comparison photos of the DualJet carbs.  Note that the photos are of carbs from a salvage yard, and taken on-site--thus the lovely grass and dirt backgrounds:

If you look really close, "DualJet 165" is cast into the area where the secondary air valve would be on a Q-Jet.

Choke blade is missing

The DualJet 165 is similar.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 11:19:04 PM by Schurkey »
Demand compensation from Communist China for the damage done by the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Lab, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19).  Trillions of dollars, plus direct compensation to individuals for medical bills, and "wrongful death" settlements.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 02:58:23 AM »
The choke coils will fit, use an lead from a positive battery post to the connector, then ground the housing on the negative battery post.  If it doesn't heat up in 3 minutes, it's JUNK.....Cliff

Offline Schurkey

• Carb lover
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 09:35:36 AM »
The choke coils will fit, use an lead from a positive battery post to the connector, then ground the housing on the negative battery post.  If it doesn't heat up in 3 minutes, it's JUNK.....Cliff
You don't recommend an ohmmeter to test them? 

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 04:11:19 AM »
Nothing better than a real test, as I don't fully trust electronic testing devices for these sorts of things.  The range is simply too wide.  If the unit doesn't heat up quickly, or heat up at all, it's toast!....Cliff