Author Topic: 4MV fuel bowl vent cover?  (Read 3711 times)

Offline unruhjonny

• Carb lover
4MV fuel bowl vent cover?
« on: March 06, 2014, 10:35:59 AM »
Are these, or have these ever been available as a replacement part?

The one infront of me carried the following stamped identifier;
RP 35431

I also am wondering if the vent and vent actuating linkage is, or ever has been available...

Mostly curious - but I could use some parts to complete some of my spare cabs to being 100% correct & complete.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Re: 4MV fuel bowl vent cover?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 11:06:21 AM »
Are these, or have these ever been available as a replacement part?

The one infront of me carried the following stamped identifier;
RP 35431

I also am wondering if the vent and vent actuating linkage is, or ever has been available...

Mostly curious - but I could use some parts to complete some of my spare cabs to being 100% correct & complete.

What carb number are we talking about here?
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline unruhjonny

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 11:16:45 AM »
What carb number are we talking about here?

I believe I pulled this cover off a 7029213, but not being a big Chevy guy, I don't know all the OEM Chev Carbs which used a front vented setup like the 1967-1970 Ponatiac's;
My Pontiac carbs which use this are: 7029268, 7040262, 7040263, 7040264, and there are many more...

Here is an ebay auction which shows one of these carbs, and this front vent cover (and underlying vent setup) in question;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111292872912?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 12:23:23 PM »
I believe I pulled this cover off a 7029213, but not being a big Chevy guy, I don't know all the OEM Chev Carbs which used a front vented setup like the 1967-1970 Ponatiac's;
My Pontiac carbs which use this are: 7029268, 7040262, 7040263, 7040264, and there are many more...

Here is an ebay auction which shows one of these carbs, and this front vent cover (and underlying vent setup) in question;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111292872912?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

7029213 is an invalid carb number. Carb 7028213 used part number 7035431 for the front vent cover. Not sure if there were ever replacements, but I know they probably do now. Not exactly sure about your question? Sorry.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline unruhjonny

• Carb lover
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 12:39:10 PM »
7029213 is an invalid carb number. Carb 7028213 used part number 7035431 for the front vent cover. Not sure if there were ever replacements, but I know they probably do now. Not exactly sure about your question? Sorry.

maybe it was a 7029211;
it was a truck 1969 350/mt carb, and at the end of the day, I figured it was of negligable worth, so considering my stockpile of carbs, I disassembled it.

I'm sorry, but you seem to be focusing on a specific carb number (which is why I didn't list a number in my first post), and not the part(s) that I am asking about;
I linked an auction which has a picture of a 7040263 which also uses this fuel bowl vent cover setup;

I am asking if the vent cover has ever been available as a replacement.

I have seen some chevy & pontiac carbs which had this vent setup removed, and simply replaced with a metal plug (tangs bant backwards inside the carb top kept it closed).

Hopefully that clarifies things a smidgeon. :D

Offline unruhjonny

• Carb lover
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 09:51:46 PM »
ok, since the activity in this thread came to a screeching halt, how about I add more pictures and confirm that previous chevy carb number;
Chevy carb number: 7029223
Sorry, I was tinkering on, and taking apart several carbs, and got the numbers mixed up.

Here is the fuel bowl vent cover, and the pieces which attach to the top plate (that are concealed by the cover):

That cover is what I was wondering initially about.

Now, here is the Pontiac carb from which I took those parts off, as well as the original chevy carb top plate which I removed some of these parts for another carb;

I also have two "buttons" placed in between the top plate and complete top, because I have seen these (one is placed upside down, the other is right side up) on these early vented top plates replacing the original vented setup (I also have some spare early pump levers if I can find the associated parts to combine them with.

Thoughts?

:D

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 01:51:34 PM »
ok, since the activity in this thread came to a screeching halt, how about I add more pictures and confirm that previous chevy carb number;
Chevy carb number: 7029223
Sorry, I was tinkering on, and taking apart several carbs, and got the numbers mixed up.

Here is the fuel bowl vent cover, and the pieces which attach to the top plate (that are concealed by the cover):

That cover is what I was wondering initially about.

Now, here is the Pontiac carb from which I took those parts off, as well as the original chevy carb top plate which I removed some of these parts for another carb;

I also have two "buttons" placed in between the top plate and complete top, because I have seen these (one is placed upside down, the other is right side up) on these early vented top plates replacing the original vented setup (I also have some spare early pump levers if I can find the associated parts to combine them with.

Thoughts?

:D

The reason it came to a screeching halt is because some are not sure. Just give it some time. As for carb 7029223, 7035431 is still the correct part number for this carb, for the vent cover. As for being a replacement, I am sure they had replacements. Just don't know what the part numbers for them were. That type of information, is probably not found in a book. Knowledge is probably what you're looking for and Cliff might have an answer. I am sorry I can't be of much help. :(
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline unruhjonny

• Carb lover
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 01:59:25 PM »
  The reason it came to a screeching halt is because some are not sure. Just give it some time. As for carb 7029223, 7035431 is still the correct part number for ... the vent cover. As for being a replacement, I am sure they had replacements. Just don't know what the part numbers for them were. That type of information, is probably not found in a book. Knowledge is probably what you're looking for and Cliff might have an answer. I am sorry I can't be of much help.
your post appears to be of great assistance.

The underlined part of your reply is a key tidbit of info - as I understand that with time some tings are forgotten ect ~ so just knowing that there might be nothing specifically denoting this might be enough for now...

I will use that number and do some searching around.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 03:54:14 AM »
I've seen replacements, but don't have a source for them. They are poorly stamped compared to the originals, but get the job done....Cliff

Offline unruhjonny

• Carb lover
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 08:20:54 PM »
this is sweet!

I just came across this part;
this is the second time within a week that inline tube has apparently been manufacturing these little detail parts that many people breeze over!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-70-Pontiac-Quadrajet-Idle-Vent-Seal-Shield-Pump-Cover-1pc-NOS-/400503033938?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d3fd75052&vxp=mtr