Author Topic: carb soak/cleaner  (Read 1725 times)

Offline 91Burban

• Garage guy
carb soak/cleaner
« on: January 30, 2019, 05:44:49 PM »
So what are you guys using to soak and clean your carb before a rebuild?

Offline tayto

• Carb lover
Re: carb soak/cleaner
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 06:59:14 AM »
ultrasonic cleaner. has paid for itself after doing a dozen carbs, throttle body's, etc

Offline 91Burban

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 04:24:32 PM »
ok cool. I ll start looking into the prices tonight.

Offline 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 05:10:58 PM »

What kind do you have? I bought a cheapy from Ebay & don't think it works that great, the heat helps though.
Jim

Offline tayto

• Carb lover
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 09:56:04 PM »
This is the unit I bought: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00EVU7IEG/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will notice a lot of the chinese units have digital controls, I opted for analog as future repairs would be much easier. I also followed some online advice to "preheat" the water rather than let the built-in heater to bring the water up to temperature. This has proved to be a wise move as my heater has yet to burn out. I have been adding a glug of simple green and a drop or 2 of dawn dish soap. Usually do 5 minute cycles then check to make sure it's not eating the finish. Cliff recommended a similar cleaning mixture:

I just use a little Dawn dish soap and half a cup of purple power degreaser in about 5 gallons tap water.....Cliff

Offline mcx

• Carb lover
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 04:04:34 AM »
....I'd like to pick up a ultrasound cleaner from Harbor Freight....I disassemble and let it soak in lacquer thinner in a  covered bucket... It works pretty good but I still have to scrub certain parts with a brass toothbrush. I even use the dremel tool with small bits to speed it a long....wash it down in hot soapy water.  I painted one yesterday and it looks decent for a first timer..silver base and a olive drab on the  body...I'm  going the cover those in 2K satin clear for protection.

Offline jaros44

• Garage guy
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 11:42:55 AM »
What about soda blasting, any harmful residue

Offline jaros44

• Garage guy
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 07:51:16 AM »
Just ordered my ulra sonic cleaner, any recommendations on chemicals to add to tank

Offline Greasy Harley

• Garage guy
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 07:32:01 PM »
I dip my carbs in this stuff. Just don't get any on you, NASTY, STINKY stuff. I swear, one single drop on your shoe, and you'll stink for 2 days!!. ...But it will clean a carburetor.

I also use a cheapie 10L ultrasonic cleaner like this.