Author Topic: methanol upgrade  (Read 2775 times)

Offline qjetsrule

• Carb lover
methanol upgrade
« on: February 28, 2011, 08:27:27 AM »
I'M THINKING OF DOING A PEPSI CHALLENGE Q-JET FOR A LOCAL CIRCLE TRACK RACER. HE'S RUNNING A METHANOL SBC, ABOUT 56O HP. WHAT UPGRADES ARE REQUIRED FOR A Q-JET TO EMBARASS THOSE HOLLEYS? THANKS

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: methanol upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 04:47:19 AM »
Nothing "special" required.  We have folks using our new parts in E-85, so they should be fine for methanol.

The calibration would need to be changed for the type of fuel.  For E-85 it takes nearly 30 percent more to do the same thing as gasoline.  Not sure about Methanol, as I've never set up a carb for it.....Cliff

Offline slicer87

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 09:54:17 PM »
Nothing "special" required.  We have folks using our new parts in E-85, so they should be fine for methanol.

The calibration would need to be changed for the type of fuel.  For E-85 it takes nearly 30 percent more to do the same thing as gasoline.  Not sure about Methanol, as I've never set up a carb for it.....Cliff

So one can run E85 in a Qjet with your parts and a changed calibration?

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 10:14:55 PM »
Methanol "stoich" is 6.4 to 1..........so it requires even more fuel supply than E-85 OR straight Ethanol.
First thing to do would be to eliminate the primary rods, then you would have plenty-o-fuel (at least on the primary side) I have no Idea how you would mod the secondary side to flow that much fuel. Only thing that comes to mind would be to limit the secondary blade opening but I just dont know.
    Did you ever see that video of the guy in the pit-crew of a race (indy??)  I guess he was on fire with the methanol fuel but the crazy thing was,  you saw now flames at all, not even any smoke (from what I saw on the vid) he sure was jumping around alot and finally, the other dudes figered out what was happening and exttinguished the fire. Dont know how bad he was injured.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 05:15:32 AM »
Yes, E-85 will work with a Q-jet.  We don't have it available to us here, so haven't built/tested any carbs for it.

I've sold parts for folks doing it, so far, no issues that we know of with the parts holding up, etc.....Cliff