Author Topic: Leaking front plug on Chevy Q-Jet  (Read 5517 times)

Offline markedmondson

• Garage guy
Leaking front plug on Chevy Q-Jet
« on: December 27, 2015, 08:39:40 AM »
A friend in our Corvette club has a Q-Jet that is seeping gasoline from the plug that's located in the front of the fuel bowl, next to the fuel inlet.  Maybe 3-4 drops per hour while running.

What's the best way to repair this?  Is epoxy an effective and permanent fix?  If yes, what type of epoxy is best?  And should it be applied from the inside?

Or should the plug somehow be replaced?

BTW, the matching numbers Q-Jet I got on eBay last year for my Corvette and had Cliff repair still works like a champ!

Offline markedmondson

• Garage guy
Re: Leaking front plug on Chevy Q-Jet
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 09:03:55 AM »
An added question:  Does Cliff repair or replace this plug as a service?  And can it be done in a way that retains the original appearance (for NCRS judging)?

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 02:45:04 PM »
A friend in our Corvette club has a Q-Jet that is seeping gasoline from the plug that's located in the front of the fuel bowl, next to the fuel inlet.  Maybe 3-4 drops per hour while running.

What's the best way to repair this?  Is epoxy an effective and permanent fix?  If yes, what type of epoxy is best?  And should it be applied from the inside?

Or should the plug somehow be replaced?

BTW, the matching numbers Q-Jet I got on eBay last year for my Corvette and had Cliff repair still works like a champ!

The best way to repair this is to drill out primary well plugs, tap, use Marine-Tex and screw-in plug. You can do this yourself, if you have a drill, drill bit and #10-32 taper tap. You can buy the screw-in plug/Marine-Tex kit from kit for around $30. Pretty good price IMO.

My $.02, I would replace the secondary well plugs as well, since they come in the kit. Grind the "lip" off the plugs (doesn't take much, so be careful), drill small hole, use #10-32 self-tapping screw and some type of the puller, to pull the plugs out. I usually take my cutting pliers and put a little force on them and they usually come out fairly easy. If you have a 7/16-20 plug and bottoming tap, you are set. Use PLENTY of cutting oil as well. Pretty easy job.

Good luck!
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 02:48:40 PM »
An added question:  Does Cliff repair or replace this plug as a service?  And can it be done in a way that retains the original appearance (for NCRS judging)?

I am sure he could repair it, too. In the NCRS judging, why would it matter? Do they take the carburetor off and check the plugs? Why would they do that?
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline carmantx

• Carb lover
  • Quadrajet Power.com
    • Quadrajet Power
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 07:32:10 PM »
Ethan, I believe he is talking about the front plug on the side fuel inlet Chevy carb, not the bottom plugs.

I use Marine Tex epoxy on outside to seal these.  I have not tapped these to plug.  Somebody else might chime in for correct original look fix.
'72 Buicks for fun and drag racing
quadrajetpower on facebook

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 11:35:48 PM »
you might be able to seal it from the inside if you could find some epoxy that flows easy, still might be kinda tricky. I would think It probably would be next to impossible to get that plug out without destroying it . Another option would be to make a similar looking plug {mini lathe?} and epoxy that in. Just thinking out loud here FWIW.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 07:36:39 AM »
Ethan, I believe he is talking about the front plug on the side fuel inlet Chevy carb, not the bottom plugs.

I use Marine Tex epoxy on outside to seal these.  I have not tapped these to plug.  Somebody else might chime in for correct original look fix.

Oh, I see. Sorry to the original poster. I would contact Cliff and see what he can do.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 03:32:56 AM »
We can repair that plug during restoration of the carburetor without having any exposed epoxy that would effect the look of the carburetor.  They must be re-colored after the repair......Cliff