Author Topic: Engine replaced in boat  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Bigbuddy

• Garage guy
Engine replaced in boat
« on: July 01, 2016, 04:41:34 AM »
The engine was replaced in a boat that I recently purchased, and I'm not sure what the engine came out of...  The number on the carb is: 17085008...
I am also hoping to find a choke replacement kit for this.( cover,spring,gasket, clips,screws)

Chris

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Re: Engine replaced in boat
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 05:00:16 AM »
The engine was replaced in a boat that I recently purchased, and I'm not sure what the engine came out of...  The number on the carb is: 17085008...
I am also hoping to find a choke replacement kit for this.( cover,spring,gasket, clips,screws)

Chris

That carb is off a 1985 OMC 4.3L 262cid Marine Engine.

Also, are you wanting to do a E/C conversion or stay with the Hot Air choke?
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 05:37:00 PM »

Chris

Cliff should have what you need for the choke. As for your other question, are you asking what the engine came out of or what the carb came off of? In that case, I answered that above. :)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Bigbuddy

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 07:55:52 PM »
Thanks for the reply...
I was actually thinking that the engine may have come from a road vehicle, because of some of the components on the engine...(not marine)...
As for the choke, I was hoping to stay with hot air... you can't beat automatic, when things are adjusted correctly...

Chris

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 11:12:58 PM »
Thanks for the reply...
I was actually thinking that the engine may have come from a road vehicle, because of some of the components on the engine...(not marine)...
As for the choke, I was hoping to stay with hot air... you can't beat automatic, when things are adjusted correctly...

Chris

What is the code on the deck pad? If a Chevy engine, should be near the passenger side head (front).

I believe your carb is a 2GC and that, Cliff, would have the parts needed. If not, what about this:

http://quadrajetparts.com/choke-thermostat-rochester-p-68.html
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Bigbuddy

• Garage guy
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 05:15:39 AM »
I have some numbers from the back of the engine, not sure if they might be casting numbers...
GM 4.3L6
L237 (not positive on this one)

I will check the front head area today....
How do I buy/order something from Cliff's ?

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 08:53:03 AM »
I have some numbers from the back of the engine, not sure if they might be casting numbers...
GM 4.3L6
L237 (not positive on this one)

I will check the front head area today....
How do I buy/order something from Cliff's ?

That is also a Mercury Marine engine with a date code (L237) of December 23rd, 1977.

Also, I would call Cliff's shop. Best way to buy parts IMO. Just have your debit/credit card ready. If not, they may accept M/O's or Checks. 8)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Bigbuddy

• Garage guy
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 08:06:49 PM »
Thanks for the info...

Chris