Author Topic: always the little things  (Read 1901 times)

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
always the little things
« on: July 03, 2016, 09:23:24 PM »
fired up my 79 ford 460 to go for a drive today. carb is a 17080212 . it didn't what to run right ,wouldn't idle very good and had a slight bog when you mashed it to the floor. i don't drive it all that often about every couple of weeks. i built it a couple of years ago using cliffs parts (so i fiqured the parts had failed )ha ha . it acted like a vacuum leak . sure enough the black rubber caps that i purchased from napa had failed . all three of them ,i only use the timing advance port all the rest are plugged with the rubber caps, moral of the story if things are working fine look for something simple that causing the problem. if anybody knows where to get better rubber caps please let me know and i will purchase them.fwiw

Offline Jeffs68

• Carb lover
Re: always the little things
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 08:20:10 AM »
Most of the parts stores "HELP" sections have the package of caps, they probably come from all the same sources...I'd just plan on replacing them every few years for a few bucks.
-Jeff

Offline ALS71GS

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 12:12:07 PM »
429... you responded to my post in "dialing in your rebuilt carb." I now know what you mean by "leaking caps"

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 01:04:08 AM »
I prefer to remove and plug vacuum fittings that aren't going to be used.  I prefer to plug them with lead so the carb could be returned one day to the factory configuration.

They make plastic caps, color coded in various sizes and available at most hardware stores.  They hold up much better than the rubber ones....Cliff