Author Topic: 67 Qjet partial carb find.  (Read 5575 times)

Offline jamesF

• Global Moderator
  • Carb lover
67 Qjet partial carb find.
« on: August 21, 2016, 06:36:45 PM »
I picked this up from rusty pile of parts in a guys back yard. Rough. Tag is missing but looks like it is a BOP 67 Quadrajet. No Base Plate.

It has the Idle Compensator cover on the back of the carb with a small springed pin sticking through it. When I removed the cover I found the reed valve type of mechanism in it (pictured). My other 67 Quadrajets have nothing in the that covered recess.
It has a plug in the front top where on my other 67 Qjet's the idle compensator valve is.
Two different approaches. Why the difference?

7037307 airhorn
7033883 Fuel Bowl

Here is some info I found on this:

""A temperature controlled idle vent valve is used on some models (Figure 3). In place of the standard vent valve; a heat sensitive bi-metal strip is used as the valve holder. This is mounted beneath the idle vent valve arm.
The bi-metal strip holds the vent valve on its seat (closed) at temperatures below 75°. When underhood temperatures are above 75° to 85° the bi-metal strip bends upward moving the vent valve off its seat. This lets fuel vapors, caused during hot engine operation, escape from the float chamber. This results in improved hot engine idle and hot starting. At temperatures below 75°, the vent valve remains closed and retains fuel vapors internally to supply extra fuel for good cold engine starting.
During hot engine operation, when the thermostatic vent valve is open, it is necessary to close the valve except at idle to maintain an internally balanced carburetor. This is accomplished through the spring steel vent valve arm which operates off the wire lever on the end of the pump lever. As the throttle valves are opened from the idle position, the vent arm exerts pressure on the bi-metal strip and forces the valve closed. The thermostatic vent valve is adjustable to make sure it closes at the proper time during throttle valve opening from the idle position."

Offline jamesF

• Global Moderator
  • Carb lover
Re: 67 Qjet partial carb find.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 06:49:17 PM »
One more pic of the rear.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 04:30:05 AM »
 James,
 That looks to me like a '67 Pontiac GTO Ram Air carburetor, just by the casting numbers. It's a long shot, but what jets and metering rods are currently in it? If ORIGINAL, I will be able to tell you what carburetor number you have there.

Also, for some odd reason, Delco wiped out all known part numbers for these Pontiac carbs, for the key parts. Maybe because they were not available for sale anymore. I don't know. Take care! Ethan
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 05:15:21 AM »
 Also, what is the part numbers on the primary and secondary flaps, and accelerator pump arm? I assume the reed valve was there to maybe allow air in or extra air in, whereas the plug restricted the air.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline jamesF

• Global Moderator
  • Carb lover
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 03:42:46 PM »
Ethan-
Thanks buddy. I'll get more numbers tonight.

Offline jamesF

• Global Moderator
  • Carb lover
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 10:05:35 PM »
29834 Pump Lever
no jets or rods left
secondary flaps are 32747 32712

It is in decent shape just really dirty and lots of spider webs

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 03:49:46 AM »
29834 Pump Lever
no jets or rods left
secondary flaps are 32747 32712

It is in decent shape just really dirty and lots of spider webs

That lever is off a '67-'68 Pontiac. So, that is in line with my thinking. A 1967 GTO RAM AIR Qjet, but Cliff would have to confirm this. He has seen so many. He would know for sure. It is a bummer it doesn't have a baseplate though. If it is a RA carb, we're talking $3-$4K restored. I bet Cliff may have the parts needed and I can keep looking. But, let's confirm what it is first.

Do you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner? That would clean it up nicely. 8)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline jamesF

• Global Moderator
  • Carb lover
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 10:03:48 AM »
Ethan-
I don't have access to a cleaner. Do you? I'd send this to you to clean up for me. Then possibly I can find the right baseplate and go from there. I'd pay ya to clean it up.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 10:31:25 AM »
Ethan-
I don't have access to a cleaner. Do you? I'd send this to you to clean up for me. Then possibly I can find the right baseplate and go from there. I'd pay ya to clean it up.

I do not own one, but I know a guy close to me who has one, that I can pay to clean it up for us. He usually charges me $20 per carb and parts. Just let me know, James. Take care! Ethan
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 03:55:26 AM »
The tag is missing so difficult to tell what part number it was originally.

I can't see the front of the carb so don't know if it's for the auto or manual transmission?

It's most likely been commercially remanufactured at some point, as there is a plug in the airhorn for the front vent.

The Hot Idle Compensator was used on all 1967 Pontiac carburetors, it was there to open up when things got hot enough under the hood to allow some additional air to the engine......Cliff

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 01:02:23 PM »
The tag is missing so difficult to tell what part number it was originally.

I can't see the front of the carb so don't know if it's for the auto or manual transmission?

It's most likely been commercially remanufactured at some point, as there is a plug in the airhorn for the front vent.

The Hot Idle Compensator was used on all 1967 Pontiac carburetors, it was there to open up when things got hot enough under the hood to allow some additional air to the engine......Cliff

Didn't think much of that plug for the vent, until you mentioned it. Yes, probably just a reman carb, James. It is up to you with what you would like to do with it. Take care bud! Ethan
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline jamesF

• Global Moderator
  • Carb lover
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 04:45:10 PM »
Ethan - Cliff -
Worth getting it cleaned up? Ill post a pic of the front.
I'd send it to you Ethan to get it all cleaned up for me. PM your info.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 03:06:36 PM »
 PM sent, James.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 03:43:41 PM »
 I just think someone changed the top over the years. JMHO. The correct top should be #7033604 and base #7033616 for Qjet 7027262. That is what I think it is. Just my opinion though. Cliff is the expert. You may end up putting a lot money into a dud, but then again, not so much. That body is what has me reeling. Why would someone take the tag off a reman unit, when they can do that to any other unit? At least this one would have been original.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 04:25:25 AM »
Most likely the carb was commercially "remanufactured" at some point.  The plug in the airhorn vent hole is a tell-tale sign of this.

Without the correct tag it's going to be difficult to know what it was originally.  If it has the vacuum fitting for the auto transmission modulator then it was originally an automatic carb.  Even with that said the companies the remanufactured those often installed that vacuum fitting to make them "universal".

All 1967 Pontiac carburetors had the HIC from what I've seen here, so that isn't really an indicator of anything.....Cliff