Author Topic: No Upper Idle Air Bleeds  (Read 2487 times)

Offline von

• Carb lover
No Upper Idle Air Bleeds
« on: March 24, 2010, 02:32:43 AM »
 I'm working on a reman 702900 ('69 Chevy 396-325 hp) carb. I suspect the airhorn isn't original, though it appears similar. There are no upper idle air bleeds in the main body and none in the airhorn. Were any Q jets mfd that way? I drilled new .052 bleeds in the airhorn per the book, recipe #1. BTW this reman carb was a mess. No upper idle bleeds, missing vacuum fitting on pass side (big vacuum leak), missing sec fuel nozzle tubes, and many lesser items.

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
Re: No Upper Idle Air Bleeds
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 03:15:55 AM »
I never seen any without the upper idle airbleeds. My guess is that the maincasting you have probably was paired originally with an airhorn containing idle bleeds. Now, someone has paired this maincasting with an airhorn that was originally intended for a carb that had both idle airbleeds in the maincasting, thus the one idle airbleed in the main and none in the top.
    I would look over everything real close as other boo-boo's are bound to be in there also.
It's great to have the knowledge to know the difference though.  Good work .

Offline von

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 04:43:06 AM »
 That's what I thought too. Plenty of other problems. It was obviously thrown together fast. Had pretty zinc plating on air valves and brackets but painted main body. It had changed hands at least twice without being driven at all. Now I see why.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 09:55:58 AM »
From what I've seen, if you find less than about 25 MAJOR problems with a remanufactured carburetor.....you got a GOOD ONE!......LOL.....Cliff