Author Topic: Specifics For .120 Main Air Bleed QJets  (Read 2361 times)

Offline craigb93

Specifics For .120 Main Air Bleed QJets
« on: August 19, 2010, 07:52:58 AM »
I am looking for more specific information for Qjets with the large MABs. I have two or three 7044214s for my '74 Chev 350 AT truck-stock except for flat top pistions, ~9.6:1 effective comp ratio and now W/O Air Pump.

Reading the 'Book' and reading ALL of the forum hasn't given me exactly what I'm looking for.
From Cliff's commentary about the number of these units he gets to work on it sounds like I'm not alone.

Recipes #1 & #2 specify 0.070 MABs along with the idle circuit specs.
Should I be looking to bush the .120 MABs down to 0.070 even though this is not specifically mentioned in any discussions about large MAB carburetors?

Currently with a fresh rebuild the truck is pretty well behaved except for the poorer fuel mileage.  This is what I want to work on. Is getting to the letter of say recipe 1 idle circuit the way to go? Everything in a large MAB unit is bigger than recipe one.

(I have made a build sheet for each carb and keep track of what is done to each one so any specifics are readily available.)

Thanks for all your years of hard work,

Dick

Offline craigb93

Re: Specifics For .120 Main Air Bleed QJets
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 02:22:50 PM »
After reading page 112 again it looks like I need a lot of brass plugs and some work to get to recipe #1

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Specifics For .120 Main Air Bleed QJets
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 05:11:48 AM »
We have custom drive in airbleeds for those carburetors.

The large MAB models are difficult to bring in range across the engine speed/load range.  They just don't make jets big enough for them, so we install the smaller MAB's and smaller jets and metering rods.

We see a LOT of those carburetors in here where folks have made a lot of engine mods and they are not working well.  Many come in with the main jets drilled to .080" or larger.  There is simply too much emulsion air.  They work OK with stone stock applications, with all the emisson control devices hooked up and operational, but that's pretty rare to see these days.  Most engines have been rebuilt, bigger cams, free flowing exhaust, cooler thermostat, more compression, etc, etc.

What happens when the smaller airbleeds are installed, is that the signal to the main system is improved, and less air bled into the main fuel supply to the nozzles.  This just makes it much easier to give the engine the A/F ratio is requires.  We've had perfect success doing this, and still have full contol of the primary side A/F ratio for best efficiency, smog testing, etc.......Cliff