Author Topic: 7042240 Buick electric choke conversion help  (Read 847 times)

Offline Mr.Pontiac

• Qjet Hero
7042240 Buick electric choke conversion help
« on: October 29, 2022, 12:16:45 PM »
Going on a 462 Pontiac, I am having trouble finding correct parts to do it. Area behind fast idle cam and green arm going thru housing I need to make up 1/4 bushing or something to fit. Anybody ever do this conversion? I have 4 differant aluminum housing I have Tryed all end up with same results.Converting over to a electric choke set-up because of Torker 1 intake being used.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: 7042240 Buick electric choke conversion help
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 02:24:48 AM »
The Torker 1 intake is a "turd" on a Pontiac build.

I did a back to back dyno test with one on a 455 build and it was 59hp LESS than my factory iron intake.  Yes, almost 60hp.

They require at least a 1" spacer to make up some of that lost ground, and never do work all that well.  Edelbrock messed them up with that "shelf" they added under the primary side of the carb.  It caused turbulence and distribution issues especially with a spread bore carburetor.

It's difficult to "convert" a divorced choke Q-jet to electric.  Some "cobbling" is involved and you have to add a bracket or modify a later pull-off to unload the choke and hold the secondaries closed. 

I've seen a few "kits" being sold to do this and not overly fond of any of them.  Far better to move to a later hot-air choke carb instead.  They are superior on many ways to the early models and convert to e-choke in minutes.......FWIW......

Offline Mr.Pontiac

• Qjet Hero
Re: 7042240 Buick electric choke conversion help
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 06:29:38 AM »
Sorry, not my car, gentleman just wants to use this carb. On this intake. I can recommend this to him though.