Author Topic: Philosophical Question About Carburetor Settings  (Read 1105 times)

Offline ks_skyhawk

Philosophical Question About Carburetor Settings
« on: April 14, 2024, 09:26:28 AM »
Like a lot of us, my 17056230 carb off a 1976 500cu in Caddy now sits on top of a mid level modified Buick 350 out of a car that has been in our family since 1979. That engine was saved and stored. Fast forward 20 years, that SBBuick found a home under the hood of a 1976 Buick Skyhawk.

I've followed Cliff's book and suggestions found here that , based on my variables (cam specs, compression ratio, tranny , differential, intended use , etc, etc)  I'm about 90% to ( plus or minus ) getting there. I feel everything I will need to reach the goal is available from all the contributors on this website. 

Here's the meat of this question....

My particular quadrajet isn't very close to GM's intended application or use.   (Yet, we know it can be ! ) Our reading suggests that we should look to factory recommended numbers when in doubt. Or look to others who have this kind of experience. 

Here it is..... Does "factory recommended when in doubt"  mean.....

A- Look to the 1976 Caddy 17056230 specs and apply them?
or
B- Consult the 1979 Buick 350 settings found in the GM shop manual since that's closer  to my particular application and follow them?