Author Topic: Flooding  (Read 183 times)

Offline Kauaiman

• Garage guy
Flooding
« on: September 02, 2024, 07:19:37 PM »
Hi I have a17080562 quadrajet and am having dripping out of Venturi at idle. Is the correct float level 1/4 inch? I have installed a fuel pressure regulator and have set at 5 psi. Can’t get fuel to stop dripping out of Venturi. Have soaked carb overnight and cleaned all passages. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Going to check air horn tomorrow for possibly bent/ warped.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2024, 07:23:33 PM by Kauaiman »

Offline qjetsrule

• Carb lover
Re: Flooding
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2024, 09:35:03 PM »
Take the carb off and turn upside down. Check your throttle plate opening at idle if too much of the transfer slot is exposed (as pictured) your crutching another problem. The throttle plates should be closed at idle. You may have to turn your mixture screws out a little or advance your timing a little to get the proper idle rpm with the throttles closed.

Offline Kenth

• Jet Head
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2024, 12:51:18 AM »
I am assuming the float and inlet valve are new and correct for the application.

The marine carb 17080562 has very small idle tubes, idle channel restrictions and no idle bypass air which may make the throttle blades being opened too much causing nozzle drip.

Offline Kauaiman

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2024, 09:59:15 AM »
Thanks for the replies!! I will go to boat today and take carb off to check throttle plates.yes the needle ,seat and float are new.

Offline Kauaiman

• Garage guy
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2024, 12:52:05 PM »
Ok, here is my report. I checked the throttle plates and they are indeed closed when throttle at idle. I had another carb I tried and that carb had its idle slots not covered as much as mine. My carb was like the picture you sent on the right just a small amount of slot exposed. Ran engine down to 600 rpm and fuel out the Venturi is less but still there. I have installed new float,needle and seat and even new mechanical fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator set at 5 psi. The only thing I have not replaced is the idle tubes in the carb. I ran small wire down each ,soaked overnight and sprayed carb cleaner to clean. Carb cleaner comes out the fuel metering wells so I think they are clean,but maybe not. The engine starts easy and runs well at 1000,2000,3000 (all power settings) I did a run last week and burned 6 gallons/ hr for 25 miles. I have a semi displacement so 13 knots is about max and for a Mercruiser 260 hp inboard that’s seems pretty good. Any other ideas?

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2024, 04:58:13 AM »