Author Topic: Finally stopped procrastinating  (Read 3615 times)

Offline JimC

• Garage guy
Finally stopped procrastinating
« on: August 15, 2011, 10:09:46 AM »
I finally put one of my Q-Jets on my truck.  I used my old square bore EPS Edelbrock manifold with a Mr Gasket adapter. (I know Cliff will chastise me for that)  My  A/F meter shows a richer than desired reading.  I am using recipe #1 w/#73 jets. 

I plan on pulling out the carb and jetting down two sizes and putting a good manifold on the truck.

I am a little concerned about running that rich, so I am wanting to know which areas to look at to help that out?

I have had four different Holley carbs on the truck and none of them has run as smoothly as my Q-Jet. 

I know I have left out information, but I am hoping it is something very simple.

Jim 

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Finally stopped procrastinating
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 04:17:20 AM »
What is the carburetor number?  It may not need a jet replacement, depending on where it's showing rich.....Cliff

Offline JimC

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 09:51:42 AM »
It is a 17081226.  I found it to idle smoothly and pulled 19-20" of vacuum at 700 rpm.

Jim

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 06:42:57 AM »
What metering rod is being used with the .073" main jets....Cliff

Offline JimC

• Garage guy
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 11:21:43 AM »
This carb is pretty much a stock oem 17081226 carb. (That is another way of saying, I don't have a clue.)  The carb had the 73 jets in it.  My only change was to the APT setting.  I set it between what I saw recommended here and the original setting, to not over do things.

I guess I need to pull the foolish thing.  I runs so smooth now, wow!!!!

Jim

Offline JimC

• Garage guy
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 08:32:34 AM »
I finally got the primary rod #, but not from taking the carb out, but I had written the # down in one of my Doug Roe Books.

They are 50B.

Jim

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 05:40:22 AM »
Those are not the correct metering rods for the later APT style single main airbleed carburetor.  They used "M" series metering rods in those units.

The "B" series rods are longer, and used with the early style carburetors only.....Cliff

Offline JimC

• Garage guy
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 10:22:42 PM »
So I am guessing the metering is totally fouled up.  I assume I would need .044 rods with the 71 to 73 jets.

Jim

Got the tranny book today, want a 700r4 in my truck.

Offline JimC

• Garage guy
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 10:15:31 PM »
Ordered the new primary rods.  I am going out of town, so it will be awhile before I get them in.

Jim