Author Topic: swap from 2 to 4  (Read 1931 times)

Offline bober

• Carb lover
swap from 2 to 4
« on: January 07, 2012, 05:56:49 AM »
Hi : I'm getting parts and such around for a swap from 2bl to 4bl on a 76 firebird w/pontiac 350 ,auto,w/air and a flow master dual ex. (no headers) So far I have a E/B performer ,a Q/jet #17080272 said to have recently been r/built and was running good when removed , along with this swap I wanted to recurve the dist and poss install a medium cam for more H.P. I would like as much input as possible if you think this is headed in right track before I get into it . I'm not going to the track w/it I just want a little smoke at the rear tire if poss . I've also upgraded to a 3.08 pos. One question about the carb was that I read about something  needed to be ground down on the secondary part so it would open to the proper dist ? Thanks guys

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: swap from 2 to 4
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 04:22:32 AM »
The 17080272 is from a 301 engine.  I would install solid secondary nozzles and grind the stop so the airflaps open to the correct angle.  There is a pic in our book of how to measure them.....Cliff

Offline bober

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 06:41:21 AM »
Thanks for getting back so soon ! I'm sure you have the book and parts mentioned .How do I order the parts and book ? Is this a procedure that should be done by a pro ? The other question was ,Is this carb  good for the combo I mentioned or should I look for a diff qjet ?Do I need a spacer of any sort for this ? Sorry fo all the ?'s I want to swap it without to many issues. Thanks again!

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 04:09:40 AM »
A spacer is not required with that carburetor on the Performer intake.  Make sure to meantion what intake is being used when ordering.  Our shop phone is 740-397-2921, 9am-5pm M-F EST.

You will need jets, metering rods, two secondary fuel nozzles, power piston spring and rebuild kit...thanks...Cliff