Author Topic: Busted air/fuel screw stuck  (Read 6736 times)

Offline PMD1969

• Carb lover
Busted air/fuel screw stuck
« on: March 10, 2013, 11:07:44 AM »
When taking apart a Qjet base one of the screws popped the head off.  There is just enough left for a small pair of pliers to grab what is sticking out.  I know if I do this it will just tearing up the remaining amount of visible screw post and it won't come out.

What would be the best method to removing it?

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
Re: Busted air/fuel screw stuck
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 08:10:37 PM »
do you have access to a small mig welder? if you do lay a washer over the little piece that is sticking out weld the screw to the washer and then tack a nut to the washer to screw it out . also when its hot from welding put some canning wax on the hot screw . the heat will pull the wax into the threads and it will screw right out.if you dont have a welder you may have to drill it. just make sure you get it perfectly centered.that way you can drill it completly out and chase the pieces out with a tap.hope this helps

Offline PMD1969

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 11:09:59 AM »
do you have access to a small mig welder? if you do lay a washer over the little piece that is sticking out weld the screw to the washer and then tack a nut to the washer to screw it out . also when its hot from welding put some canning wax on the hot screw . the heat will pull the wax into the threads and it will screw right out.if you dont have a welder you may have to drill it. just make sure you get it perfectly centered.that way you can drill it completly out and chase the pieces out with a tap.hope this helps

Unfortunately I do not have a welder.  The base plate has been cleaned and now I am going to check and see if a mix of ATF/Acetone will be safe enough on the plate material to then try and loosen the screw.  I have only two ways of getting it out.  One is using a Dremel to slice a notch and use a Flathead or clamp on and pray.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 11:44:29 AM »
 I hope your able to get it out of there. Please keep us posted!
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline PMD1969

• Carb lover
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 11:40:56 AM »
Still stuck.  I have let it soak with PB Blaster for days and then tried to turn it out with a pair of needle nose pliers.  Of course this screw is stuck in the hole where there is little space to grab it with  ::).  I am going to try ATF/Acetone after this.

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 07:25:21 PM »
try and warm up the screw with a small torch. apply canning wax and let it cool. it will come out unless someone has cross threaded it.if thats the case (i dont know how handy you are or what tools you have access to) i fixed one by first setting the fuel bowl back on. the i took a drill bit (just small enough to fit down the hole ) that way it will center the hole perfect. then i drilled it out and tapped it to 3/8 because i had a brass 3/8 bolt. i lock tited the bolt and made it flush on both sides. i put the fuel bowl back on ,got myself a new center, drilled and tapped back to the proper size. id show a picture but its running on my 79 ford 460.hope this helps.

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 07:28:36 PM »
sorry about that last post . i was talking about a back busted screw in the base plate.

Offline PMD1969

• Carb lover
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 08:56:31 PM »
Alright.  After repeated attempts the screw is still stuck.  Where can I find a base plate to replace it so I can move forward?

Offline billy 2

• Carb lover
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 12:24:34 PM »
Try going to your local machine shop.  They should be able to take the screw out.  If not, they will drill it and could probably put a heli coil in.  billy 2

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 09:21:45 PM »
exactly whick screw broke off( in the fuel bowl or in the throttle shaft?

Offline PMD1969

• Carb lover
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 01:34:04 PM »
Try going to your local machine shop.  They should be able to take the screw out.  If not, they will drill it and could probably put a heli coil in.  billy 2

Although I do need to find a machine shop for other work I was oping to see if I could acquire a base plate cheaper and quicker than finding a shop and paying to get it doe.  Since I live in Soccer Mommy town there are few if any shops like this aroud.

Offline PMD1969

• Carb lover
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »
exactly whick screw broke off( in the fuel bowl or in the throttle shaft?

Which ever one is one the left that is the toughest one to get too.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 02:15:55 PM »
Although I do need to find a machine shop for other work I was oping to see if I could acquire a base plate cheaper and quicker than finding a shop and paying to get it doe.  Since I live in Soccer Mommy town there are few if any shops like this aroud.

What carb number are we talking about here?
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline PMD1969

• Carb lover
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 12:15:39 PM »
What carb number are we talking about here?

7028260   its an automatic carb going on a manual car.  If I could find a manual base plate I wouldn't have to block off the two auto ports.  Either way it will work.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 01:32:19 PM »
7028260   its an automatic carb going on a manual car.  If I could find a manual base plate I wouldn't have to block off the two auto ports.  Either way it will work.

Keep your eye out for base plate number 7035842 for the 7028260 and 7035558 for the 7028261.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)