Author Topic: Largest N/S you've used?  (Read 2077 times)

Offline 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
Largest N/S you've used?
« on: September 05, 2017, 05:09:43 PM »
So what's the largest you've used with out problems, at say 6 psi?
Right now I'm at .141 @ psi. I just installed an electric in tank pump 320 lph or 80+ gph.
I'm still getting some lean out at the top of  gears.
Combo is 421 sbc 530 ish hp 6000 rpm.
Jim

Offline Frank400

• Jet Head
Re: Largest N/S you've used?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 06:38:42 PM »
Just built a 800 cfm for a friend with a 625 hp or so 434 and he's doing fine with .135".   He's running an aeromotive A1000 at 5.5 psi.  No leaning out on top end.

I was almost certain he would need a .150" and looks like it won't be needed.

What is your fuel system ?

Offline 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 07:08:35 PM »
Jim

Offline 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 05:01:29 AM »
Just built a 800 cfm for a friend with a 625 hp or so 434 and he's doing fine with .135".   He's running an aeromotive A1000 at 5.5 psi.  No leaning out on top end.

I was almost certain he would need a .150" and looks like it won't be needed.

Is the engine in the car? Does he have an AFR gauge? Do you leave the round suffer in the carb?
Jim

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 04:31:42 AM »
I made a .160" for a customer running a FAST Class car once.

I use a .145" seat at 7.5 psi my own carb, but it works equally a well with a .135" seat as long as I keep the fuel pressure at least 6 psi......Cliff

Offline 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 06:40:53 AM »
I made a .160" for a customer running a FAST Class car once.

I use a .145" seat at 7.5 psi my own carb, but it works equally a well with a .135" seat as long as I keep the fuel pressure at least 6 psi......Cliff

That must be close to the edge with 7.5. Does your fuel pressure drop as soon as you shut the pump off?
I had a mech. pump that put out 7.5 & would hold & it would flood a bit on hot restart.
When I set the press. to 6 psi. I watched when I shut the pump off & it dropped back pretty fast, so no flooding on hot starts.
Jim

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 02:28:37 AM »
7.5 psi is fine on later q-jets.  Having to use low pressure is a myth that comes from the poor fulcrum/hinge pin location of the early units.

The fuel delivery system is also a player here.  I've seen a few "dead head" systems that would induce flooding at lower pressures.

I use a Comp 140gph pump at 14psi and a regulator with a full bypass.  I've cranked it up past 10psi just to test things out and never once the first indication of wanting to flood.

A high flow mechanical pump w/o a bypass seems to be the worst set-up in terms of flooding from what I've seen.  May have something to do with the fact that the fuel flow stops and starts with the valve action inside those pumps. 

Many years ago I tried to run a Carter high performance mechanical pump, it was around 120gph nearly as I can remember?  Anyhow, it was a complete POS and my carb absolutely hated it.  Not only did the pressure fluctuate it wanted to flood on with hard braking and sometimes with quick cornering, it wouldn't keep up with my engine at the track on hard runs.  I tossed it out and went with the Comp 140gph pump and bypass and never had the first indication in over 2 decades now that it wants to flood for any reason. 

The new system is also superior in fuel delivery and never once any hint that the bowl is going low or empty on a hard run.  The Carter HP pump wouldn't even think about keeping up with my engine, and back then it made about 100 less HP than the engine I'm using now...FWIW.....Cliff

Offline 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 10:57:48 AM »
Looking at the wide band log it looks to be leaning out at the top of the gears, so maybe I'll up the pressure a bit.
BTW I ran 11.93 @ 112.7 & 4200 lbs.
Jim

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 03:53:16 AM »
For sure you're getting moving pretty good to run into the 11's at 112mph.

Last time I was at the track went 7.18 @ just under 97mph.  That was nearly a tenth quicker than most of my 1/8th mile outings and after the 3rd run I figured out why.......the fan belt was missing!!!  In similar weather it typically runs 7.24-7.30 @ 95mph and some change.  That's around 11.20-11.30's in the 1/4 mile just over 120mph for those who are wondering.

Despite it being in the 90's and high humidity the engine never overheated until I pulled into the pits after the last run.  I heard it "burp" some coolant into the catch can a few seconds after I shut it down and a little steam come out from under the hood.

The engine developed a coolant leak after that so I haven't raced it since, thinking it may have pushed out a head gasket.  Turns out it was leaking from the intake water crossover instead and migrating down the passengers side head gasket and dripping between the two center bolts.

It finally blew the crossover gasket clear out couple of weeks ago and no leaks after replacing it, so we dodged a bullet there for sure......Cliff

Offline 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 05:17:01 AM »
I'd say you dodged a bullet, especially on a 90 deg. day. Hmm a tenth with the belt of 11.8, won't try it on purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFnRG7Rqc0E
Jim

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 05:54:28 AM »
I certainly hope I don't try it anytime soon either!

Thank goodness my engine runs extremely cool, probably due to the very tight quench and being very finely tuned. 

I just happen to know a guy who's pretty good at that deal!....LOL.....Cliff