Author Topic: Setting up the choke on a perf tuned Q-jet  (Read 1710 times)

Offline 73 Z28

• Carb lover
Setting up the choke on a perf tuned Q-jet
« on: March 01, 2013, 08:37:53 AM »
Thought I'd share this tip on setting up the electric choke on a performance tuned q-jet:

When installing the electric choke into the housing, rotate it until it is fully closing the choke plate and then back it off
until there is a 1/8" gap between the choke plate and the airhorn, then tighten the 3 screws.  Use a 1/8" drill bit as a checking gauge. Then using a hand held vacuum pump, apply vacuum to fully open the choke pulloff and adjust it to open the choke plate to 3/16". Again use a 3/16" drill bit to verify that the pulloff is opening to that point. Most later q-jets have an adjustment screw on the choke pulloff linkage that makes adjusting it easy. This will get the choke adjustment very close to where it needs to be for good cold start drivability.

Paul

Offline 68 Firebird

• Garage guy
Re: Setting up the choke on a perf tuned Q-jet
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 09:15:19 AM »
That is a neat setup method.  Mine is setup so coil is on center of lean/rich scale and pulloff opens
choke blade to 1/4".  Usually when I start the engine it runs for a few seconds and then dies.  Restart and all
is good.  This will happen more when below 40 degrees and after sitting overnight.  Carb still has plenty of fuel in carb body. Not a big deal but always looking to fine tune. 

Gerry

Offline jamon8

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
thanks for the post. I had my choke way to tight and it would run like crap when I started it up cold.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 09:50:48 AM »
 Thank you for the post. ;)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)